A Sense of Duty by Quang X. Pham (1)
- John F. Kennedy- Increased U.S. involvement in Vietnam by sending American military advisors.
- Lyndon B. Johnson- First U.S. president to
order combat troops into South Vietnam following the Gulf of Tonkin
Resolution in August of 1964.
- Richard Nixon- Withdrew American troops from
South Vietnam by 1973 following the Paris Peace Accords.
- Henry Kissinger- Secretary of State for Richard
Nixon awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for the Paris Peace Accords that ended
- Ngo Dinh Diem- South Vietnam’s President for 12 years. Assassinated by his generals during a coup d'état.
- Ho Chi Minh- North Vietnam’s communist leader that wanted
to unify Vietnam under communist rule.
- General Westmoreland- Commander of U.S. forces in South Vietnam.
- Pham Van Hoa- Quang Pham’s father. A pilot in the
South Vietnamese Air Force. Pham’s inspiration to join the Marines and be
- George Bush- Ordered U.S. troops to liberate Kuwait from Iraqi troops in Operation Desert Storm.
- Saddam Hussein- Iraqi dictator who ordered the
invasion of Kuwait.
- Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf- Commander of all
Coalition Forces during Operation Desert Storm.
- Bill Clinton- President who ordered U.S. troops into Somalia to distribute food.
- Truman Doctrine- Doctrine introduced by President Truman
that committed the U.S. to fighting the spread of communism.
- Dien Bien Phu- Victory by Communist forces over the French
to free Vietnam and split it into Communist North and Democratic South.
- Gulf of Tonkin Incident and Resolution- An attack on U.S. ships by North Vietnamese gun boats that gave an excuse for putting American troops into South Vietnam.
- Tet Offensive- Major North Vietnamese offensive that
turned public opinion in the U.S. against the war.
- Parris Peace Accord- Peace in Jan. 1973 that ended the war
and gave an excuse for the American withdrawal. A peace the North Vietnam never intended to keep.
- April 23, 1975- Date Pham and his family were evacuated
out of South Vietnam. After moving around several camps the family
eventually settled in Oxnard, California.
- Ventura Community College/UCLA- Pham attended community
college before transferring to UCLA and earning a degree in Economics.
- Marines- Received a commission in the U.S. Marines as a 2nd
Lieutenant. Attended flight school and became a transport helicopter
- Operation Desert Storm- Operation to liberate Kuwait from Iraqi rule.
- Pham’s father was released from “re-education” camps and
reunited with his family in the U.S. The camps were concentration camps
for former South Vietnamese military officers.
- Pham left active duty and joined the reserves to continue
- Pham is now intending to go into politics.